There are various versions of SharePoint that are used in enterprises for critical document management repositories, web content management, team collaboration, knowledge base, business reporting, task management and a wide variety of other use cases. No wonder, it has become one of the most popular platforms for secure collaboration in enterprises all around the world.
Seamlessly performing all these tasks, streamlining operations and achieving superior results needs the right SharePoint version and implementation. In case, you don’t have the right one or are still using the “Older Version”, it’s time to ‘Make the Move’.
Naturally, these questions are bound to hit you:
- Why do I need to migrate?
- Which version would suit my enterprise the best?
- Yes, but how should I migrate?
- I know everything but who’s going to help me make the move?
If these are the questions popping into your head right now, you’re on the right page. Let’s explore the answers to these questions and much more with SharePoint migration best practices step by step.
Why do you need to migrate?
Most enterprises currently use the SharePoint platform in one way or another which is why SharePoint is growing and set to grow over the coming decade. That’s why Microsoft also focuses on the advancements of the SharePoint products and technologies in the form of different Versions.
The advancements in the SharePoint release cycle requires enterprises to upgrade to the latest version mainly because, Microsoft offers:
- 9% service-level–agreement reliability
- Top-notch security features
- Tools for effective collaboration
- Scope of customization
- Unique search options
In addition, some of you need to migrate your applications or websites to combine multiple SharePoint farms into a single unified environment. Your current SharePoint environment needs to be upgraded to make it more effective.
Once you have taken your decision, it’s time to climb the next step of the ladder.
Which versions should you migrate to?
Firstly, compare! Compare the current version with the version you need to migrate to. Then, identify the process of moving the content in your on-premise SharePoint to the advanced version.
And, secondly understand that migration drives your business far beyond than just including new features and content. It’s a whole infrastructure package that works together to improve your team’s productivity and collaboration.
The migration from the older to the latest version is an opportunity to improve your SharePoint implementation – a move that significantly supports your business procedures, overall performance, and employees’ productivity.
Here is the list of versions you can consider for migration:
- SharePoint 2007 to 2010
- SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013 to SharePoint 2016
- SharePoint 2016 to SharePoint 2019
- FTP to SharePoint Online or Any On-Premise Server
SharePoint Migration Best Practices
SharePoint Migration can give your solutions a new lease of life fostering an encouraging working environment in your enterprise. These advanced versions can help you organize the process in a much easier way.
What’s the best way to ‘Make the Move’?
- Assess your existing SharePoint environment to discover SharePoint’s architecture, inspect SharePoint farms and then define the migration model based on your assessment.
- Analyze your current SharePoint migration solution along with site collections, structure, purposes, permission management model, underlying complexities in customizing and other factors included in your current environment.
- Inspect content across the entire infrastructure in order to prioritize important content that while migrating to the new version or outline the outdated, unnecessary, bulky or irrelevant content.
- Outline the detailed migration plan with precision in an accurate sequence.
- Once ready, set the plan in motion by restructuring sites, resetting the environment workflows, reorganizing content, fixing and/or recoding customizations before rolling out custom branding.
Sounds overwhelming, it’s a breeze if you team up with a right set of professionals to assist you, which brings us to the Final Step.
How Cygnet’s SharePoint Migration Services can help
Migration from an older SharePoint version to the upgraded version requires careful planning and analysis.
Cygnet Infotech is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner providing a suite of SharePoint migration services that allows you to migrate business operations ensuring fast turnaround and painless transition with speed and 100% agility.
Cygnet’s SharePoint Migration Capabilities include:
- Integration with various Microsoft Technologies like Exchange Server and Lync Server
- Migration of older versions like Windows SharePoint Services and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 to Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010
- Migration from SharePoint Server 2010 to SharePoint Server 2013
- Legacy SharePoint Migration from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2013
- Integration with numerous third-party packages and custom applications
If you are looking for SharePoint Migration services that can help you migrate your current SharePoint environment to a newer advanced version, get in touch with us today at Cygnet at +1-609-245-0971 or firstname.lastname@example.org.